Weathering is a term generally used to describe the effects of the elements on your asphalt roof shingles. This is naturally occurring, causing your shingles to deteriorate over time. However, not all shingles deteriorate at the same rate. Roof replacement services contractor Genesis Roofing shares the seven factors that can affect the aging process of your shingles.
1. Shingle Quality. This is arguably the most notable factor. Lower-quality shingles are more likely to deteriorate faster than higher-quality ones. Choosing the latter is always a good idea, allowing you to achieve savings by minimizing the need for frequent repairs.
2. Roof Color. Your chosen roof color also contributes to how fast or slow shingle deterioration will be. Roof shingles in darker colors absorb more heat than lighter colors. This heat can shorten your shingles’ lifespan.
3. Roof Slope. Generally, flatter roofs have a lower lifespan than steeper ones. This is because flatter roofs typically cannot shed moisture as effectively as fast as steeper roofs. If rainwater stays longer on your roof, this can cause faster deterioration or possibly water damage. Flatter roofs are also more directly exposed to UV radiation.
4. Harsh Climates. Homes located in areas that experience harsh climates are more likely to have roofs with shorter lifespans. Damage from high winds and hailstorms can contribute to the faster deterioration of your shingles. The quickly changing climate can cause an immense amount of expansion on your roof.
5. Roof Ventilation. Roofs with poor ventilation tend to have a shorter lifespan than those that are properly ventilated. When your roof cannot keep your shingles cool, they are going to deteriorate quickly. A licensed roofing contractor must be called in to inspect this problem to minimize issues that might compromise your roof’s longevity and performance.
6. Maintenance. Maintenance, or lack thereof, can influence how well your asphalt shingles age. Scheduling routine inspections can help preserve or even prolong your roof’s lifespan. However, expect your shingles to deteriorate if they aren’t inspected regularly by your roofer.
7. Installation. Deterioration happens quickly if your shingles are not installed properly. Without the proper equipment, training, and preparations, the resulting roofing structure may fail prematurely. Make sure to choose a trusted roofing company to handle your roofing installation.
On average, your shingle roof should last 20 years. However, if you’re noticing some problems before the 20-year mark, you may be due for a roof repair or replacement. That’s where we come in. Genesis Roofing is here for your roofing repair and replacement needs. Call us now at (515) 202-1667 or fill out our contact form for a free quote. We serve clients in Clive, IA, and the surrounding areas.